This is probably our favorite meal ever.
We make it every time we see each other and it is without a doubt the best comfort food. I got it from a pretty great recipe blog but we have tweaked it over time.
Here is the recipe, tripled…you will thank us…..
- 3 cans (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 3 cans of chicken broth
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 pounds of sweet italian sausage
- 1 sweet onion
- Salt and ground pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups of Arborio rice
- 1 1/2 cups of dry white wine
- 1 bunch of spinach (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups of parmesan cheese
- 4 tbs butter
- We start by combining the cans of diced tomatoes and chicken broth in a large pot Bring to a low boil.
- While you wait for the mixture to cook, in the largest frying pan you own combine the italian sausage, chopped onion, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the sausage is all cooked add in the rice and wine. Let the rice absorb the wine. Once most of the liquid is absorbed, start adding the tomato/chicken broth mixture to the rice. Add a cup, consistently stir, and once the rice seems to have absorbed most of the liquid add another cup. Do this cup by cup until the tomato/chicken broth mixture is either gone or the rice is fully cooked. This is really the hardest part because it takes a while and requires full attention. You should also be getting hungrier and hungrier at this point.
- Lastly, add in the butter, parmesan, and spinach. Stir them in until well mixed and the butter is melted. You are now ready to serve!